Please read carefully through the Frequently Asked Questions before you apply, so that you can make an informed decision, and the application process will be smooth for you.
1. What is The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program about?
The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program is a 10-year global initiative to educate and develop the next generation leaders, who will contribute to social and economic progress, particularly in Africa.The Scholars Program enables young people from economically disadvantaged communities to complete quality secondary and tertiary education, and make successful transitions to further education or to the workforce in their home countries. With comprehensive support, Scholars are equipped with knowledge, skills and values needed for success in the economy and to make positive impacts in their communities.
2. Who can apply for The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at Makerere University?
The MasterCard Foundation Scholars specifically targets applicants who are academically talented but economically disadvantaged. The Scholars Program is open to all applicants from Sub-Saharan Africa and is open only to new applicants who have not yet commenced a diploma or degree programme.
3. Who cannot apply for The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at Makerere University?
The Scholars Program scholarship is not open to African refugees living outside Africa due to the desire for Scholars to return and give back to their home communities. Applicants undertaking their graduate, postgraduate or doctoral study are not eligible for this Scholars Program.
4. How do I apply for The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at Makerere University?
Applicants should obtain and complete the Scholarship Application Forms at no cost from Makerere University, Senate Building Level 4, Room 402, or download the application forms from The MasterCard Foundation Scholars website on http://mcfsp.mak.ac.ug or Visit Makerere University website at http://mak.ac.ug. Submit completed Application Forms to Makerere University, Senate Building P.O Box 7062 Kampala.If submitting by email as an attachment, ensure the scanned copy of the Scholarship application form is clearly legible and send to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. What kind of support does the MCF Scholars Program offer?
The Scholars will receive comprehensive support as listed below;
- Tuition and functional fees
- Laptop, books and other learning materials
- Accommodation, bedding’s and meals
- Medical insurance
- Transport to and from home.
- Psycho-social and mentor-ship support
- Capacity building training in; Leadership, Communication, Entrepreneurship, Financial literacy, Gender and Human rights.
6. Do I pay for application forms in order to apply for The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program?
The MCF applications forms are absolutely free of charge, and the entire application process is absolutely free, nobody should ask you for any money in exchange for a scholarship. The MCF Scholars Program exercises merit principles and zero tolerance to dishonesty. Any form of influence pedaling by anybody will lead to automatic disqualification of the applicant.
7. What is the criteria used to select applicants to the MCF Scholars Program:The applicant;
- Should be admitted to study at Makerere University in a particular academic year
- Should be from an economically disadvantaged background, and a citizen of any country in Africa.
- Should exhibit academic excellence in either Sciences or Humanities.
- Should demonstrate leadership skills and commitment to social betterment.
- Should have an exceptional record of service and activity in his/her former school and/or community
- Should not be a holder of any other Scholarship.
- Should not have completed any Diploma or Undergraduate studies.
8. If I have a diploma and I would like to apply for a degree, am I eligible for the MCF scholarship?
If the applicant holds any qualification of any kind, they are not eligible for the MCF scholarship. The MCF scholarship targets young people who have just completed their high and are joining the university for the first time and on the basis of their high school results.
9. If I dropped out of the university midway due to lack of tuition, and I would like to resume my studies, am I eligible for the MCF Scholarship?
If you dropped out of the university, you are eligible to apply for the MCF Scholarship, but thorough investigations will be carried out to ascertain the circumstances you dropped out of the university.
10. After filling in the application form, what are the next steps I need to take?
After filling and submitting the application form at our offices, Senate Building level 4, Rm 402, then ensure that you apply for the program of study at Makerere University. After you have been admitted, we shall notify you when the selection process has commenced. Endeavor to include an active telephone number on your application form.